In the last article on how ShipNet can assist a tanker organization with TMSA 3, we looked at the 7th, 8th and 9th elements covering management of change, incident reporting, investigation and analysis, and safety management. In this final article, we cover the final four elements of TMSA 3, which include:
- Environmental and energy management
- Emergency preparedness and contingency planning
- Measurement, analysis, and improvement
- Maritime Security
So without further ado, let’s dive right into the last 4 key elements:
10th Element – Environmental and energy management
The 10th Element, which focuses on environment and energy management is the critical practice of identifying and assessing pollution generated from maritime operations as well as the safe reduction and disposal residual waste. TMSA 3 encourages reporting procedures & contingency planning to be implemented to cover hazardous incidents. It is a requirement that a maritime organization monitor its performance quarterly and provide benchmarks across the fleet to ensure environmental action plans meet standards such as ISO 14001 & MARPOL Annexes.
How can ShipNet help with the 10th Element of TMSA 3?
Setup and monitor environment management plans along with the identification of sources of emissions and measures to increase energy efficiency.
Record and monitor sources emissions, fuel consumptions to consistently take steps to achieve objectives outlined in the company policies.
11th Element – Emergency preparedness and contingency planning
The 11th Element of TMSA 3 looks at the requirements of implementing an effective response in dealing with onboard emergencies where a vessels crew is required to undertake training exercises-based merchant shipping legislation. Maritime organizations are required to develop safety procedure drills along with shore-based response teams to partake in training. TMSA 3 identifies the need for maritime organizations to undertake media training and to arrange security management.
How can ShipNet help with the 11th Element of TMSA 3?
Through the ShipNet One application you can plan and execute drills and emergency exercises while preparing the company and vessel emergency response plans both for office as well as site-specific. Within the application, define the scope and frequency of the planned exercise for automated scheduling. Gain access to all records automatically through history. Prepare KPI targets as per company policies and monitor the frequency of exercises carried out throughout the fleet for continual improvement.
12th Element – Measurement, analysis, and improvement
The 12th Element is considered one of the most vital aspects of a successful safety management system. A maritime business must ensure system manuals are utilized as a part of daily operations and that they are analyzed for their effectiveness and to ensure they have not become outdated. By giving regular audits indicates how well the safety management system is adhering to industry best practice guidelines and how well the system is performing overall, along with the connected vessels and shore support offices.
How can ShipNet help with the 12th Element of TMSA 3?
Through the ShipNet One application, onboard Safety Officers or Junior Officers can implement ship safety inspections and asses the safety culture. The application also provides the ability to plan and prepare for inspections and audits based on set schedules.
Through the ShipNet One application you can also:
- Review previous inspection details across the fleet and data, enabling improved preparation.
- Identify problem areas, individuals, and inspectors.
- Perform inspections based on standard or custom checklists and create findings automatically from checklist questions.
- Identify observations and non-conformities and determine their corrective actions.
- Make use of KPI / RCA / Measurement lists to analyze observations and findings.
- Assign tasks to individuals in the organization and perform actions to close each finding.
- Measure the performance of vessels, observations, and non-conformities, areas of most concern through interactive dashboards and reports.
Share best practices and critical information across the fleet using the document system to promulgate safety alerts or fleet circulars. Share information circulars across the fleet. Generate custom reports using our report designer to share among customers.
13th Element – Maritime Security
The 13th and newest Element of TMSA 3 focuses on Maritime Security, which mainly consists of the use of Risk Assessment solutions to identify and mitigate risks. It is a requirement to adhere to BMP 4 guidelines, so it is necessary to define and maintain a stock of equipment for vessel hardening. It is also a requirement to define an Operational Security Area to monitor the number of transits of vessels. Best practice requires travel advisory and threat level circulated data sharing across a fleet as well as the verification of armed guard’s qualification criteria before employing them onboard vessels.
How can ShipNet help with the 13th Element of TMSA 3?
Monitor and track operational security events using the occurrence system and ensure that vessels are secure from threats
- Use of Risk Assessment solution to identify and mitigate risks
- Define and maintain stock of equipment for vessel hardening as per BMP 4 guidelines
- Define Operational Security Area and monitor the number of transits of vessels as per Operation Security Reports made in the solution
- Circulate travel advisory and threat level data sharing to vessels using the document system
- Verify armed guard’s qualification criteria before employing them onboard vessels using our standard measurement lists
So there we have it. Our ShipNet One integrated platform has been built around industry regulations to assist with maritime organizations in implementing their safety management systems efficiently and proactively. Through years of development in line with the world’s major shipping companies, the platform not only meets the requirements but encourages continuous and effective improvement and compliance with TMSA 3.
Watch our 'TMSA 3' Video
Download our 'TMSA 3' Document
For more information on supporting continual improvement with TMSA 3 and ShipNet One please download our document below or contact email@example.com
- How to achieve TMSA 3 Compliance for Elements 4, 5, and 6 - 24th November 2020
- How to achieve TMSA 3 Compliance for Elements 1, 2, and 3 - 18th November 2020
- Procurement XE Video - 9th November 2020