On the 10th of April 2017, OCIMF (The Oil Companies International Marine Forum) released TMSA 3, the latest edition of the Tanker Management and Self-Assessment (TMSA) programme providing Tanker companies with a means to improve and measure their safety management systems.
TMSA 3 revised and updated all twelve of the existing elements from the previous two editions and introduced a thirteenth – ‘Maritime Security.’
What are the 13 key elements of TMSA 3?
The 13 key elements of TMSA 3 are as follows:
- Leadership and the safety management system
- Recruitment and management of shore-based personnel
- Recruitment, management, and wellbeing of vessel personnel
- Vessel reliability and maintenance including critical equipment
- Navigational safety
- Cargo, ballast, tank cleaning, bunkering, mooring and anchoring operations
- Management of change
- Incident reporting, investigation, and analysis
- Safety management
- Environmental and energy management
- Emergency preparedness and contingency planning
- Measurement, analysis, and improvement
- Maritime security
the newest element ‘Maritime Security‘ mainly consists of:
- Use of Risk Assessment solution to identify and mitigate risks
- Define and maintain a stock of equipment for vessel hardening as per BMP 4 guidelines.
- Define Operational Security Area and monitor the number of transits of vessels as per Operation Security Reports made in the solution.
- Circulate travel advisory and threat level data sharing to vessels using the document system.
- Verify armed guards qualification criteria before employing them onboard vessels using our standard measurement list
How can ShipNet assist my organization with TMSA 3?
The ShipNet One integrated platform has been built around industry regulations to assist your organization in implementing your Safety
Management System efficiently and proactively.
Through the years of development of this solution in conjunction with the world’s major shipping companies, the platform not only meets the requirements but enables continuous improvement and encourages
effective compliance with TMSA 3.
What are the key benefits of ShipNet One?
Download our 'TMSA 3' Document
For more information on supporting continual improvement with TMSA 3 and ShipNet One please download our document below
Latest posts by Suren Thadani (see all)
- Implementing Automation and AI into the One Connected Maritime Platform, a sneak preview… - 25th April 2019
- What are the key elements of TMSA 3 (Tanker Management Self Assessment)? - 11th March 2019
- Activate Issue 3 is here – February 2019 - 13th February 2019